Thursday, July 29, 2010

How does your garden grow?

This year, my garden grows lots of leaves, lots of blossoms, and not much else.  It’s beautiful, just not very, umm, fruitful.

Today, we enjoyed a rare harvest from our garden, a juicy cantaloupe. image

Why have I never planted cantaloupe before?  I don’t know. Because home-grown cantaloupe is delicious.  :)

image So, what else is growing in our little backyard garden?

image Squash – with lots of blossoms, but something out there thinks that squash blossoms are pretty tasty.  I agree.  :)

image Peppers – several varieties.  We’ve gotten several jalapenos, a couple of poblanos, and this is the first bell pepper. 

image I’m very excited to try this beauty.  If this watermelon is as tasty as the cantaloupe, then we are in for a nice summer treat.  :)

image There are a few more cantaloupes on the vine too, and maybe a few more watermelons will show up before the season ends?  We’ll see.image

And who knew that chive blossoms are so beautiful? 

image

1 comments:

texansusan said...

Looks yummy! I've had the same problem with my garden this year... lots of blossoms but no fruit! I haven't seen a single bee all summer... I need some pollinators.

I'll have to try cantalope next year... good stuff!